Monday, August 18, 2008

Guess What I saw today !!!!!!

On a busy Monday Morning like this especially after a long weekend - this is the time when things like these happen i guess. So while i was too busy pushing myself to get to work that's when i saw It.......

and when i saw it, it seemed as if everything around stopped, it had been really really long since i had seen it. It was as if i had forgotten about it's existence. Our relationship had been severed due to circumstances. This encounter had really stirred up a lot of memories.. from the past.. fond ones.. not so fond ones.. sad ones and many more like these..

Now before you start drawing conclusions - what i saw was a "Post Box".

Thanks to Internet and email, life has become much more easier but it has also somewhere lost the human touch to communication. I still have letters from my friend of school who went away to Vijaywada to do her engineering and its full of stories - trials and tribulations and the respect that you discover you had for you parents.

Then there is this cousin of mine who loves drawing cartoons, his letters were like a monthly Archie's comic for me. Now we hardly really talk - except for the customary courteous exchanges, thanks to email, chat and of course social networking sites.

The most dreaded moments were those when the postman got my marks home in a postcard. I remember vowing to kill that person who had this brilliant idea in school to increase parent teacher interaction. I can bet all other kids felt the same too.

There were those days when i was new to the computer and my granny had no idea what it was. I used to type the letter in a language conversion software - type in English and it writes in Telugu and then i would print that out and post it to my granny.

All that and much more has been eliminated by the email. Now when we read an email we try to read in between, beneath and over and above the mail to figure out what the person is saying. Its personal but still very impersonating.

And that's why i had a bout of nostalgia when i saw my dear friend - "The Postbox".

6 comments:

RDD said...

hey didi u r so right !!!!!
never realized that iused to save my letters too :)
so will to write apersonal letter to someone this time :)

Ramya said...

It was about 4 years since I wrote a letter.I used to ask my Hubby to write a letter before marriage and post it so that I can save it for longer instead he said an email can also be stored hehehe

Anonymous said...

Hi Uma, this's keerthi from TIA...Nice blog u've got here..

And about letter writing...u r right...I still write letters to my granny and once in a month when I see the blue inland cover from her in my postbox I feel really really happy...

saki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
saki said...

That was quite a thought provoking post on how things have changed narrowing the communication channel but widening the emotional channel.The constant badgering with the postman and the gamut of emotions right from exicitement on receiving a letter to the curiosity while opening it cannot be compared with the click of a mouse to check, open and read mail.That was a wonderful blog and kudos to you on writing such a beautiful one.

Anonymous said...

Hi ,u r right uma..internet makes life easy ..the touch of relation is gone...in my inter my father used to write letters for me ..he had given so much inspiration through letters..